cold unsalted butter
2 1/2 cups
toasted pecans, chopped
1/2 cup fresh blueberries or 1/2 cup
- Preheat the oven to 375°. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment, or grease them with butter.
- Chop the butter into 1/4-inch pieces. (It is important to make the pieces no larger than 1/4 inch because they are difficult to make any smaller once frozen.) Spread on a plate and place in the freezer until hard, about 30 minutes or overnight.
- Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda in a large bowl.
- Add the butter, and chop with two butter knives or a pastry blender until it is well blended and some of the butter is crumbly. Mix in the pecans.
- Gradually add the buttermilk, 1/3 cup at a time, and mix gently until all ingredients are incorporated but not completely blended. You might not use up all of the liquid. The end result should be a shaggy mass.
- Sprinkle the blueberries on top of the dough and only mix enough to evenly distribute the berries.
- Gently form the dough into 1/3-cup balls and place them 1 inch apart on the prepared baking sheets. (You may freeze the balls at this point and bake them later. Once frozen, place scones in freezer storage bags.).