active dry yeast
( 1 envelope)
extra virgin olive oil
whole wheat flour
- In a large bowl, combine the hot water, yeast, honey and 1 tablespoon of the olive oil. Let the mixture sit for 5-10 minutes.
- In a separate bowl measure out the all purpose and whole wheat flour and give it a quick stir to combine.
- Add 1 ½ cups of the flour, along with the salt and garlic powder, to the water and yeast mixture. Mix by hand until smooth. Continue adding the rest of the flour, about 1/4 cup at a time, working the dough after each addition, until dough is smooth. You may not need all of the flour.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until the dough is smooth but still slightly tacky, about 3 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl add remaining olive oil. Place the dough in the bowl, turning to coat with the oil. Cover with plastic wrap and set in a warm, draft-free place until double in size (about 1 to 1 ½ hours).
- Pound the dough down and divide into 2 balls to make two 8” pizzas, or keep as one large ball to make a 16” pizza. Let dough sit for 5 minutes.
- Roll dough out to desired size and let sit for 20 minutes to allow the crust to rise a little before adding toppings.
- Add desired sauce, toppings and cheese.
- Cook on a preheated pizza stone on lowest rack at 450 degrees for 15-20 minutes.