plum tomatoes, Roma
( 2 pounds)
fresh basil leaves
6 boneless skinless chicken breasts or 6
chicken breast fillets
extra virgin olive oil, divided
garlic, minced, divided
1 1/2 cups
3 1/2 teaspoons
italian seasoning, divided
parmesan cheese, grated
1 1/2 teaspoons
mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 1/2 cups
( angel hair)
- Tomatoes and Basil Preparation:.
- Core and cut Roma (plum) tomatoes into 1-inch pieces. Chef's Note: To preserve juices and seeds, use a paring knife to remove just the top of the core on each tomato.
- Cut basil leaves into 1-inch pieces (no stems).
- Combine Roma tomatoes, basil, 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, 2 tablespoons of minced garlic, 1½ teaspoons of Italian seasoning and 1½ teaspoons of salt in a large bowl and blend thoroughly.
- Cover, set aside and refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- Chicken Preparation:.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Coat a large, non-stick skillet with vegetable oil and heat over medium-high heat.
- Combine 1½ cups of flour, 1 tablespoon of salt, black pepper and 2 teaspoons of Italian seasoning in a shallow dish.
- Dredge chicken in the mixture, shaking off any excess.
- Place chicken in skillet and sauté for about two minutes on each side, or until just golden brown. If skillet is not large enough, sauté the chicken in batches.
- When finished, transfer chicken to a large baking dish and place in oven to cook for approximately 10 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Pasta Preparation:.
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- Drain and set aside until needed.
- Sauce Preparation:.
- While pasta is cooking, heat 2 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil in a medium sauce pan over medium heat.
- Add 1 tablespoon of minced garlic and sauté for approximately 1 minute. Do not brown.
- Slowly add 1 tablespoon of flour and stir to combine.
- Add white wine and bring to a boil. Boil for approximately 1 minute.
- Remove marinated tomato and basil mixture from refrigerator. Drain tomatoes and basil from liquid and set aside until needed. Add ½ cup of the marinade liquid and sauté for approximately 1 minute.
- Add heavy cream. Lower heat and bring to a simmer.
- Add grated Parmesan cheese.
- Assembling Chicken Caprese:.
- Preheat broiler.
- Remove chicken from baking dish and set aside until needed.
- Transfer pasta to baking dish and partly coat with sauce.
- Pour desired amount of the remaining sauce on pasta and evenly distribute tomatoes and basil over pasta.
- Place chicken on top of pasta.
- Sprinkle shredded mozzarella cheese evenly over chicken.
- Place baking dish under broiler for approximately 2-3 minutes or until mozzarella cheese has melted.