( well scrubbed or peeled and cut into uniform cubes)
( sliced, diced, or however you like it)
( cut into half inch slices)
( or Canola oil)
salt, to taste
pepper, to taste
garlic powder, to taste
- Pour oil into a skillet with a tight fitting lid (preferably cast iron but go with what you have)and then add potatoes, onion, and okra and toss.
- Heat your skillet (with all of the ingredients) over medium high heat.
- Sprinkle with garlic powder and a generous amount of pepper. Save salt for later(Salting potatoes makes them "sweat". Just like eggplant. You don't want them to do that while trying to brown them -- it will increase your cooking time.).
- Cover skillet with a tight fitting lid and cook over a medium high heat until potatoes are steamed soft, stirring about every 5 minutes. Don't use a high heat YET -- you are not trying to brown the potatoes yet just get them soft.
- They should be soft in about 15-20 minutes, depending on the size of your cubed potatoes. I like to cube mine relatively small- I think the end result is a better texture. (For me, anyway).
- After potatoes are soft, remove the lid (and don't recover anymore) and turn the heat up to brown the potatoes. I usually only turn them two or three times because I like some of them browned and other ones still soft.
- When browned to your liking remove from skillet and salt to your taste.
- Serve with ketchup if you must but a creamy white gravy is better.