1 1/2 cups
milk chocolate chips, for crust
peanut butter, creamy for crust
corn flakes, crushed lightly for crust
butter, for mousse
2 3/4 cups
confectioners' sugar, for mousse
cocoa powder, for mousse
semisweet chocolate, for mousse
( I used Baker's 1 oz. squares)
egg yolks, for mousse
( pasteurized if available)
heavy cream, for mousse
sugar, for ganache
heavy cream, for ganache
2 1/2 cups
semisweet chocolate, for ganache
- To make crust:.
- Line a 9 x 13" cake pan with parchment paper.
- Melt milk chocolate in a double boiler.
- Stir peanut butter into melted chocolate. Place crushed corn flakes in a bowl and stir chocolate/peanut butter mixture over them, mixing well.
- Spread mixture evenly into prepared pan and cool in refrigerator.
- To make Mousse:.
- Melt semisweet chocolate in a double boiler. Cream butter and sugar in a mixer fitted with a paddle, beating until light and fluffy.
- Add sifted cocoa powder and mix well. Scrape down bowl and add chocolate.
- Continue mixing and add egg yolks, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Fold in heavy cream that has been beaten to firm peak.
- Mix well to incorporate, leaving no white streaks in the chocolate.
- Spread mousse over crust.
- Chill about 2 hours, until set. Cut into desired size bars with a sharp knife dipped in hot water. (1 x 4-1/2 " cuts will yield about 2 dozen bars)
- Place bars on a cooling rack that has been placed over a clean baking sheet. (Bars may be completed at this time or coated with ganache).
- If bars are soft, place rack in freezer until ganache is ready.
- To make ganache:.
- Melt chocolate in double boiler.
- Mix sugar and heavy cream in a small saucepan and bring mixture to a slow boil over low heat(be careful not to scorch the cream).
- Pour cream over chocolate and stir with a whisk to incorporate, making sure all the chocolate is melted.
- Strain mixture to remove any pieces of unmelted chocolate.
- Let cool for about 1 hour.
- Pour ganache over firm bars to coat. Refrigerate for 1 hour to firm ganache.
- The bars should be stored in the refrigerator.