extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper
garlic cloves, minced
1 1/2 cups chicken stock or 1 1/2 cups
1 lb tagliatelle pasta noodles or 1 lb
1 2/3 cups
fresh herbs, roughly chopped
prosciutto di Parma, chopped
parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
- Heat the oil in a large saute pan over medium heat.
- Add the onions and sprinkle with salt and pepper and stir to coat with the oil.
- Cover and cook on low heat 25 to 30 minutes or until soft and transparent.
- Uncover the pan and raise heat to medium high and cook, stirring often, until the onions become a rich golden brown.
- Add garlic and cook for a few minutes longer careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add the stock and simmer and scrape the bottom of the pan until reduced by about a quarter.
- Cook pasta according to the package directions until al dente and drain.
- Add the cream to the sauce and let come to a slow simmer while stirring it inches
- Add the prosciutto, salt and pepper and the herbs to the sauce and toss with the pasta.
- Toss in the cheese.
- Serve with extra cheese at the table if desired.