1 large fennel bulbs or 2 small
garlic clove, whole
salt & freshly ground black pepper
dry white wine
chicken stock, to cover
- Trim stalks flush with fennel bulb and cut each bulb lengthwise into quarters, or halves, if using small bulbs.
- In a heavy saucepan large enough to hold the fennel flat in one layer, melt 1 tablespoon butter over moderate heat.
- Add fennel garlic, thyme, and toss to coat with butter.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- Add wine and chicken stock.
- Bring mixture to a boil, reduce heat to a simmer and cover.
- Braise for 15 to 20 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in remaining tablespoon butter.
- Reseason with salt and pepper, to taste.