hard-boiled eggs, shelled
white onion, cut in thin rings
1 1/2 cups
ground celery seed
1/2 cup sugar or 1/2 cup
2 cups apple juice or 2 cups
- Place eggs and onions in a 1/2 gallon crock or 1/2 gallon jar.
- In saucepan, add vinegar,water,salt, mustard seed,celery seed, turmeric and sugar.
- Stir to blend. Use a woooden spoon. Simmer,add apple juice or cranberry juice.
- Taste. The brine should be sweet and sour. It must be strong in taste for the flavor to go into the eggs and onions. Note: If it is not sweet enough for your taste add 1/8 more sugar at a time. If it is not sour enough for your taste add 1 tsp vinegar at a time. Make sure it is hot. Pour over eggs. There must be enough brine to cover. If not make another half batch.
- Cover the crock with a turned over plate that will fit down in the crock. Put a weight on the plate.
- Cover the jar with waxed paper or plastic wrap, then the lid. You do not want the lid to rust with the vinegar. Gently shake the jar each day.
- Refrigerate three days. You can keep for five to seven days.
- If you use cranberry juice, there will be a slight tint to the eggs. Do not use cranberry grape, the eggs will turn a blueish gray.