extra virgin olive oil
onion, finely diced
carrot, finely diced
celery, finely diced
garlic clove, diced
( more if you like garlic)
dry white wine
2 1/2 cups
Tomatoes, pureed in a blender
2 tablespoons milk or 2 tablespoons
3 -4 tablespoons
2 1/4 cups
parmigiano-reggiano cheese, freshly grated
- TOMATO SAUCE.
- Place oil and butter in a saucepan, and turn the heat to medium.
- When the butter starts foaming, add the diced onion, carrot, celery, and garlic.
- Sauté and stir until the onion is soft and translucent.
- This is the time to add the ground meat if using.
- Stir with a wooden spoon, and break the meat into small bits. Cook until the meat is fully browned.
- Add the wine, salt and pepper (to taste). Turn the heat to high, and let the wine evaporate. (Posting of 1/4 cup wine would not register correctly when entering recipe).
- Add the tomato, nutmeg, and milk (milk helps cut down on acidity). When the sauce starts boiling, turn the heat to low.
- Cover the saucepan and simmer slowly for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- WHITE SAUCE.
- Place butter in a saucepan and turn the heat to low. When the butter is melted, remove the saucepan from the stove.
- Add the flour, stirring continuously until golden.
- Add the milk a little at a time. Put the saucepan back on the stove and slowly stir with a wooden spoon, until the sauce starts boiling and becomes thicker.
- Turn heat off. Add salt to taste, and stir in the 1 oz. grated parmigiano cheese and pinch of nutmeg.
- Begin cooking lasagna pasta in salted water as directed on package. Prepare al dente. To stop the cooking process, run cold water over drained pasta.
- While pasta is cooking, begin.
- PREHEAT oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease heavily a large 13x9 baking dish.
- Spread 2-3 Tbs. of tomato sauce over the bottom of the baking dish.
- Place one layer of pasta over sauce in dish.
- Spread with tomato sauce but not so thick you can't see pasta showing thru.
- Spread with Balsamella white sauce. Try to pour as evenly as possible but don't blend. Not all tomato sauce should be covered.
- Top with 2 ozs grated parmigiano reggiano cheese.
- Repeat two times.
- Top layer will be a beautiful marble of white sauce over the tomato sauce.
- Bake for about 25 – 30 minutes. Doneness is when you fork the lasagna, it will pull out easily from the pasta.
- Serve hot.