2 -3 large
onions, thinly sliced
canned beef broth, undiluted
( low-sodium is okay)
canned consomme, undiluted
2 -3 tablespoons
( lots of pepper!)
- In a large skillet heat the butter over medium heat, add in sliced onions with sugar; saute for about 20-22 minutes or until the onions are softened and lightly browned.
- Add in the flour and cook/whisk stirring for about 1 minute.
- Add/stir in water, beef broth, consomme Worcestershire sauce and black pepper; simmer stirring and scraping up the browned bits, until the gravy is slightly thickened (about 8-10 minutes).
- Season with more black pepper and add in salt if desired.
- Adjust the Worcestershire sauce to taste.