olive oil, plus 1 to 2 additional tablespoons for sauteing
chopped bell pepper
fresh ground black pepper
dried split peas, picked and rinsed
dry brown rice
plain breadcrumbs, plus
breadcrumbs, for coating
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large (4 to 6-quart) saucepan over medium heat.
- Add the onion and bell pepper along with a generous pinch of salt.
- Sweat for 5 minutes or until the onions are soft.
- Add the garlic and mushrooms and continue to cook for another 4 minutes.
- Add the broth, peas, rice, coriander and cumin.
- Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Decrease heat to low, cover and cook at a simmer for 1 hour or until the rice and peas are tender.
- Remove from the heat and gently pour the mixture into the bowl of a food processor and process until just combined.* Do not puree. Pour this mixture into a bowl and stir in the 3/4 cup of bread crumbs.
- Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Shape the mixture into patties and dredge on each side in the remaining 1/4 cup of bread crumbs.
- Heat one tablespoon of olive oil in a medium saute pan over medium heat. Add 2 burgers at a time and saute until brown on each side, approximately 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- To grill, cook on high for 3 to 4 minutes per side as well.
- Serve immediately.
- *When blending hot liquids: Remove liquid from the heat and allow to cool for at least 5 minutes. Transfer liquid to a blender or food processor and fill it no more than halfway. If using a blender, release one corner of the lid. This prevents the vacuum effect that creates heat explosions. Place a towel over the top of the machine, pulse a few times then process on high speed until smooth.