1 1/2 teaspoons
2 1/2 cups
red food coloring
crushed peppermint candy
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix the crushed peppermint candy and granulated sugar together and set aside.
- Mix shortening, sugar, egg and flavorings together.
- Add flour and salt and mix.
- Divide dough in half.
- Add food coloring to one half and mix well.
- Make one cookie at a time by: Rolling a 4" strip (use about 1 tsp of dough) from each color.
- Place strips side-by-side, press lightly together and twist like a rope.
- Place on ungreased baking sheet.
- Curve top down to form handle of the cane.
- Bake about 9 minutes.
- Remove from baking sheet.
- While still warm sprinkle with the candy/sugar mixture.