1 1/2 cups
whole wheat flour
chopped crystallized ginger
1 1/4 cups
grated fresh lemon rind
- Lightly spoon flours into dry measuring cups, and level with a knife.
- Combine flours and next 5 ingredients (flours through ground ginger); stir well with a whisk.
- Make a well in center of mixture.
- Combine 1 cup sugar, applesauce, and next 4 ingredients (applesauce through vanilla).
- Add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist; cover and chill dough at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly coat hands with flour.
- Shape dough into 24 balls (about 2 tablespoons each; dough will be sticky).
- Roll balls in 1/4 cup sugar.
- Place balls 2 inches apart on baking sheets coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool 1 minute on pan.
- Remove from pan; cool completely on wire racks.