Sicilian tomato sauce
olive oil, plus extra for brushing
garlic cloves, crushed
400 ml tomato passata or 400 ml
canned chopped tomatoes
anchovy fillets, drained and chopped
( more if you like them)
pitted black olives, drained and halved
For the salmon
2 (100 g)
( approw 2x100g)
broccoli, cut into bite-sized pieces
( you could have a mix of vegetables)
fresh basil leaf, torn
lemon rind, grated
- Heat the olive oil in a heavy saucepan. Add the chopped onion and crushed garlic and sweat for 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until translucent.
- All the tomato passata or canned tomatoes, plus the anchovies, olives capers and plenty of black pepper, bring to the boil, then lower the heat right down and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Preheat the grill. Brush the salmon steaks with a little oil and grill for 6 minutes or until cooked through, turning once halfway through cooking.
- Meanwhile, steam the broccoli for 5 minutes or until cooked but firm.
- Serve the salmon with the sauce and steamed vegetables.
- Place the basil and lemon rind over the salmon. Serve.