( can use more)
onion, finely chopped
fresh minced garlic
( optional or to taste)
celery, finely diced
dry white wine
( or use chardonnay)
2 (5 ounce) cans
( save the juice!)
( rubbed between fingers to release the flavors)
russet potato, peeled and grated
1 1/2 cups
chopped fresh parsley
( lots of pepper!)
- In a heavy-bottomed pot brown the bacon, then add in onions, celery, thyme, bay leaf and garlic (if using); saute for about 4 minutes.
- Add in wine, whipping cream, milk and the juice from the clams (save the clams to add in the end).
- Add in the grated potato; bring to a slow simmer and cook for about 20 minutes until the grated potato softens, releases the starches and thickens the chowder base.
- Add in the reserved clam meat, evapoated milk and chopped parsley; bring to JUST a simmer and remove from heat.
- Season with salt and lots of black pepper.