sifted unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/4 teaspoons
CHOCOLATE CREAM FILLING
1 (3 ounce) packages
instant chocolate pudding mix
1 1/4 cups half-and-half cream or 1 1/4 cups
1 (8 ounce) containers
cool whip frozen whipped topping, thawed
unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
6 tablespoons 18% table cream or 6 tablespoons
- Set oven to 350°F.
- Grease two (9-inch) round cake pans, then line bottoms with parchment paper, then grease the paper lightly.
- For the cake; in a large bowl combine the flour and sugar; set aside.
- In a medium saucepan combine butter, water and cocoa powder; heat just to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently.
- Pour the chocolate mixture over the flour mixture; whisk to combine completely.
- Whisk in the eggs, buttermilk, baking soda and vanilla until combined.
- Divide the batter evenly between the cake pans.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes, or until the cakes test done with a toothpick inserted in the center.
- Cool in pans for 10 minutes, then turn out to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- For the filling; In a bowl combine the instant pudding mix and half and half cream or full-fat milk; beat with an electric mixer on high speed until thickened (about 3-4 minutes).
- Add in the thawed Cool Whip topping and beat on low speed for about 2 minutes or until thoroughly combined; chill until set (about 6-8 minutes).
- For the glaze; heat butter, sifted cocoa powder and 6 tablespoons 18% cream in a heavy-bottomed saucepan; bring to a simmer over medium heat; remove from heat and slowly add in the vanilla and confectioners sugar whisking until smooth (if you add in the confectioners sugar in to fast it will become lumpy).
- Place 1 cake round upside down onto a cake platter or large plate.
- Top with the chocolate pudding mixture (there will be lots of the pudding mixture, which is is good thing, cause that's the best part lol!).
- Place the second layer over the top of the pudding mixture.
- Allow the glaze to cool just slightly until a thick pourable texture is achieved.
- Slowly pour the glaze over the cooled cake, allowing it to run down the sides.
- Place in the refrigerator to chill for a minimum of 4 hours before slicing and serving.