white button mushrooms, sliced
fresh minced garlic
( or to taste)
( can use more)
cooked leftover steak
( sliced to about 1/8-inch thick)
salt and pepper
green bell pepper, seeded and thinly sliced
sliced mozzarella cheese or
( use a large French or Italian bread, sliced in half lengthwise)
- Butter each large half of the bread then, the place under the broiler for a couple of minutes to brown lightly or until slightly crisp.
- In a large skillet cook the onions in the butter and oil over medium heat, stirring occasionally until the onions are crisp and golden, season with salt and black pepper; transfer to a paper towel using a slotted spoon.
- Add in more butter and/or oil to the skillet if desired and add in the sliced mushrooms and garlic; sauté until the mushrooms loose their moisture and are lightly browned; transfer mushroom/garlic mixture to a bowl.
- To the same skillet add in the beef broth, Worcestershire sauce and black pepper, stirring with a wooden spoon to deglaze the skillet, scraping up any browned bits from bottom of the skillet.
- Add in whipping cream, ketchup and mustard; simmer over low heat for about 2-3 minutes.
- Add in the beef slices and mushroom/garlic mixture, stirring until heated through, simmer over low heat for about 3 minutes (or more if desired) stirring occasionally.
- On the bottom half of the browned bread place sliced cheese, then green pepper rings, then steak/gravy mixture.
- Season with black pepper and then top with browned onions.
- Top with the remaining bread, the cut into serving size pieces.