1 (2 1/2-3 lb)
boneless beef roast, cut to fit pot or crock pot
( chuck, shoulder or round)
salt and pepper, to taste
instant beef bouillon
dried basil, crushed
3/4 lb new potatoes or 2 medium
1 lb carrots or 6 medium
parsnips, peeled, cut into 2-inch pieces
onions, cut into wedges
celery ribs, bias-cut in 1-inch pieces
- Trim fat from meat. Brown meat on all sides in hot oil in a 4- to 6-quart Dutch oven. Drain fat.
- Mix 3/4 cup water, Worcestershire sauce, bouillon, basil and salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour over roast. Bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 1 hour.
- Peel a strip of skin from center of each new potato or peel and quarter sweet potatoes.
- Add potatoes, carrots, onions and celery to pot. Return to boil. Reduce heat.
- Simmer covered, until tender, 45 to 60 minutes. Add water as needed.
- Transfer meat and vegetables to platter. Reserve juices.
- To prepare gravy, measure juices, skim off fat, and add enough water to make 1 1/2 cups. Return to Dutch oven.
- In a small bowl, stir 1/2 cup water into flour. Stir into pan juices. Cook, stirring, on medium heat until thickened, then 1 minute more. Season to taste. Serve with pot roast.
- For oven cooking: After browning meat and adding liquid mixture to pan, bake, covered, for 1 hour at 325 degrees. Prepare potatoes as directed. Add vegetables to meat. Bake, covered, until tender, 45 to 60 minutes. Make gravy as directed.
- For slow cooker: Trim fat from meat. Slice vegetables into a 4- to 5-quart crockery cooker. Put meat on top of vegetables. Mix the liquid mixture to cooker. Cover and cook on low for 10 to 12 hours or on high for 5 to 6 hours. Prepare gravy as directed.