sunflower seeds, in the shell
- Put sunflower seeds in colandar and wash with warm running water.
- Shake dry in colandar.
- Place in tall stockpot.
- Add sunflower seeds.
- Add 8 cups water and canning salt.
- Set in a cool room or cold porch.
- The seeds will swell some.
- Let set for 48 hours, the longer you set, the longer the brine has a chance to work.
- I turned with a stainless steel spoon 4 times during this process.
- Drain the seeds, save the brine, if you want to make another batch.
- Pour the seeds into a terry cloth towel and wrap and press with your hand.
- Spread out on baking trays.
- Place in a cold oven.
- Heat oven to 250*.
- Turn every hour with a spatula.
- Dry from 3 to 4 hours. It depends on the amount of seeds you place on your trays.