2 (28.34 g) package
( 1 Tbsp = 1 Pkg)
- WHITE BREAD: (Basic Recipe).
- Lightly spooning flour into measuring cup & leveling off, measure out 2 1/2 cups flour. Combine flour, dry yeast, sugar, & salt in a large mixer bowl; blend.
- In a medium saucepan, combine water, milk, and oil; heat until very warm (120 to 130F).
- Add eggs and liquid to flour mixture.
- MIXING - Blend at low speed until moistened; beat 3 minutes at medium speed. With a wooden spoon, stir in an additional 3 to 3-1/2 cups of flour to form a sticky dough. In bowl or on a floured board, gradually work in 1/2 to 1-1/2 cups more flour, kneading or working in with hands until dough is smooth, pliable and no longer sticky (about 5 minutes).
- RISING - place dough in a greased bowl; cover with a cloth or loose fit lid. Let rise in a warm place until light and double in size, about 45 minutes.
- SHAPING & BAKING:Punch down dough to remove air bubbles; divide dough into two parts. From dough into desired shapes; place in greased pans according to Shaping and Baking directions (follows). Cover, let rise in a warm place until light and doubled in size, about 30 minutes. Bake at 375*F according to shape until loaf sounds hollow when lightly tapped. Immediately remove from pans; cool.
- (If loaf becomes too brown, cover with tin foil during last 10 minutes of baking.).
- WHOLE WHEAT BREAD - (Basic Recipe).
- Follow white bread recipe. After beating with mixer, stir in 3 cups of Whole Wheat flour in stead of white, knead in 3/4 to 1-1/4 cups white flour.
- MEDIUM RYE BREAD - (Basic Recipe).
- Follow White Bread recipe. After beating with mixer, stir in 3 cups medium rye flour instead of white flour. Knead in 1-1/4 to 1-3/4 cups white flour (rye flour dough usually remains slightly sticky). Rye dough should not completely double in size. Add 1 Tbsp freshly crushed Caraway Seeds with rye flour.
- NOTES: At high altitudes (5000 feet plus) - after first rising, punch down dough and then allow to rise a second time in the bowl. Decrease the first (and second) rising periods by 15 minutes each.
- INGREDIENT VARIATIONS. (may be used in any of the above basic bread recipes). Ingredients stirred in are added with the flour as it is stirred inches.
- HONEY/MOLASSES: substitute 1/4 cup for sugar. Reduce milk to 3/4 cup.
- BROWN SUGAR: substitute 1/4 cup (firmly packed) for the white sugar.
- ROLLED OATS: stir in 1/2 cup.
- WHEAT GERM: stir in 1/2 cup.
- CHEESE: stir in 1 cup shredded Cheddar, American, Monterey Jack or Swiss cheese.
- HERBS & SPICES: stir in 1/4 to 1/2 tsp celery seed or dill weed, or 1/2 tsp Italian Seasoning, or 2 Tbsp minced chives, caraway or sesame seeds.
- ONION: stir in 1/2 cup, finely chopped.
- RAISINS/CHOPPED DATES OR OTHER DRIED FRUIT: Use Sweet Dough recipe; stir in 1-1/2 cups fruit.
- SPECIALTY WHITE BREAD VARIATIONS - (use Basic White Bread Recipe).
- FRENCH BREAD: Reduce sugar to 1 Tbsp; Omit milk and eggs; Use 2 cups water; Reduce stirred in flour to 1-1/2 to 2 cups. Increase first rise to 1 hour. Shape and bake according to Shaping and Baking directions.
- FRENCH LOAF OR ROLLS: Brush with beaten egg just before baking.
- RICH EGG BREAD - (use Basic White Bread Recipe) Increase sugar to 1/3 cup. Decrease water to 3/4 cup. Use 3 eggs.
- SOUTH OF THE BORDER LOAF - (use Basic White Bread Recipe) Decrease sugar to 1 tablespoons Decrease milk to 1/2 cup. Increase stirred in flour to 3-1/2 to 4 cups. With this flour, Stir in the following: 1/2 cup sour cream, 1/2 cup chopped olives, 1/2 cup chopped onion, 1 cup shredded Cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese, 1/4 tsp garlic powder, 1 to 4 TBSP minced green chilies (optional). Shape and bake according to directions for regular or round loaves, or rolls.
- SWEET DOUGH - (use Basic White Bread Recipe) Increase sugar to 1/2 cup. Eliminate water. Use 2 cups milk. Substitute butter or margarine for oil.
- CINNAMON SWIRL - (use Sweet Dough Recipe) Pat each half of dough into a 7x14-inch Rectangle; spread with 1 Tbsp butter or Margarine. Combine 1/2 cup sugar and 2 Tbsp Cinnamon; sprinkle half of mixture over each rectangle. Starting with the 7-inch side, roll jelly-roll style. Seal all edges tightly. Shape and bake according to instructions for a regular loaf.
- SPECIALTY DARK BREAD VARIATIONS - (follow Whole Wheat or Medium Rye Basic Recipes).
- DELICATESSEN RYE BREAD - (use Basic Med-Rye Recipe} Omit sugar, water and 1 egg. For warm liquid, heat 1-3/4 cups milk, 1/4 cup molasses, 1/4 cup cooking oil and 1 square unsweetened chocolate (chocolate does not need to melt). Along with stirred in flour at 1 Tbsp Caraway Seed (optional) Stir in 1/4 to 1 cup white flour with the rye flour. Do let the dough to rise until double. Increase first rise to about 1 hour and the second to about 40 minutes. Increase the baking temperature to 400*F. Bake loaves 30-40 minutes.
- HEARTY WHOLE WHEAT LOAVES - (use Basic Whole Wheat Recipe) Substitute 1/4 cup brown sugar for the white sugar. Along with the stirred in flour add 1/2 cup each Wheat Germ and Rolled Oats and 2 Tbsp Sesame Seeds. Decrease kneaded in white flour to 1/4 to 3/4 cup. Increase first rise to about 1 hour.
- LIGHT PUMPERNICKEL BREAD - (use Basic Med-Rye Recipe) Eliminate sugar. Decrease water to 3/4 cup. Heat 1/4 cup molasses with other liquids. Along with stirred in flour add 2 Tbsp caraway seeds.
- 100% WHOLE WHEAT BREAD - (use Basic Whole Wheat Recipe) Eliminate white flour. Stir in 3 to 3-1/2 cups whole wheat flour; knead in a further 1/2 to 1-1/2 cups whole wheat flour.
- SHAPING AND BAKING: Use half of dough to make each shape. Using solid shortening, generously grease pans. If desired, just before baking, slash top of loaf in any design using a sharp knife.
- BAKE BREADS at 375*F: [U]All Loaves[/U] - 35 to 45 minutes or until loaf sounds hollow when lightly tapped.
- ALL ROLLS - 10 to 20 minutes.
- REGULAR LOAF: Use a 9x5 or 8x4-inch loaf pan. Press dough into pan; insert fingers between pan and dough to round edges.
- ROUND LOAF: Use an 8 or 9-inch round cake pan, 1-1/2 quart round casserole or cookie sheet. Form dough into round ball; flatten slightly.
- FRENCH & OBLONG LOAF: (Use a large cookie sheet).
- FRENCH: form dough into 14-inch loaf; taper ends.
- OBLONG: form dough into 8 to 10-inch oblong loaf; round ends.
- ROPE SHAPED LOAVES: Shape half of dough into a 26-inch rope; form into any desired shape described below.
- COIL: Use 8 or 9-inch round cake pan, 1-1/2 quart round casserole or cookie sheet. Beginning at center of loaf, roll rope into snail shape; tuck tail under.
- TWIST: Use a 9x5 or 8x4-inch loaf pan or cookie sheet. Cut rope in half to form two 13-inch ropes. Twist together; seal ends.
- FIGURE EIGHT: Use a 9x5 or 8x4-inch loaf pan or cookie sheet. Form rope into figure-eight; seal ends.
- DOUGHNUT: Use cookie sheet. Form circle by bringing ends of rope together; seal. Flatten circle to 1-1/2 inch thickness.
- ROLLS - (use large cookie sheets).
- ROUND: Form dough into 12 2-inch balls.
- VIENNA: From dough into eight 6-inch oval rolls; flatten slightly.
- BREADSTICKS: Cut dough into walnut size pieces. Roll with hands into 5-inch sticks.
- BREAD GLAZES - use any of the following glazes to create different crusts.
- SOFT BUTTERY CRUSTS: Brush loaves with softened or melted butter or margarine AFTER BAKING.
- CRISP SHINY CRUST: Brush loaves with a mixture of 1 egg and 1 Tbsp water JUST BEFORE BAKING. May be sprinkled with poppy or sesame seed.
- DELICATESSEN CRUST: Remove loaves from oven 5 minutes before done; brush with a mixture of 1/2 tsp cornstarch and 1/4 cup water that has been heated to boiling. Return to oven to finish baking.
- CINNAMON/SUGAR CRUST: Brush loaves with 2 Tbsp melted butter or margarine; sprinkle with mixture of 2 Tbsp sugar and 1/2 tsp cinnamon AFTER BAKING.
- SLIGHTLY CRISP, SHINY SWEET CRUST: Brush loaves with a mixture of 1 Tbsp each of sugar and water AFTER BAKING.
- From: http://www.recipelink.com/mf/31/10995.