1 1/2 lbs
green cabbage, coarsely chopped
( about 5 cups)
( or use half and half cream)
sliced cooked corned beef, coarsely chopped
( can use more)
melted butter, divided
salt and black pepper
grated cheddar cheese
( or to taste)
- Set oven to 375°F.
- Prick the potatoes with a fork on both sides, then set on a baking sheet.
- Bake for about 1 hour or until the potatoes are fork-tender (it might take longer depending on the size of the potatoes).
- While the potatoes are baking, cook the cabbage in a saucepan with boiling salted water until tender (about 7-8 minutes) drain well in a colander.
- When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut off the top, then scoop out the flesh from the tops and place in a bowl (discard the top skin).
- Carefully scoop out the flesh from the potatoes (careful not to scoop all the way down to the flesh, leave about 1/4-inch from skin).
- Mash the flesh with a potato masher, then season with salt and pepper.
- Add in milk, well drained cabbage, corned beef and 1/2 cup butter, season again with more salt and pepper if desired.
- Spoon/mound the mixture into the potato shells.
- Drizzle with remaining 1/4 cup melted butter.
- Increase the oven temperature to 425°F.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake for about 15 minutes.
- Remove and sprinkle with grated cheese, then return to the oven to bake until the cheese has melted (about 5-6 minutes).