pure maple syrup
( do not use pancake syrup)
( or sub with additional nutmeg)
pam cooking spray
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Place the nuts in a large mixing bowl. Add the syrup and butter, and toss. Sprinkle on the salt, cardamom, nutmeg and mace. Toss until the nuts are evenly coated.
- Spray a large baking sheet that has a rim (such as a jelly-roll pan) with cooking-oil spray. Pour the nut mixture evenly onto the pan.
- Bake, removing the pan from the oven to stir the nuts after every five minutes, until the nuts are toasted and fragrant and have absorbed the syrup, about 20 minutes total.
- Remove the pan from the oven and let the nuts cool to room temperature, about 25 minutes.
- Store them at room temperature in an airtight container, preferably a tin or glass jar, for up to three weeks.