1 1/2 pints
fresh strawberries, rinsed, wiped dry and sliced
1/4 cup superfine sugar or 1/4 cup
fresh orange juice
1 1/2 lbs
bananas, sliced 1/2-inch thick
all-purpose flour, sifted
pure vanilla extract
butter, cut into pieces
pure vanilla extract
semisweet chocolate, chopped
1 1/2 cups
cold heavy cream
sugared sliced almonds
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 9" square baking dish with 1 tablespoon of the butter and set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt the remaining 8 tablespoons butter and the chocolate over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon.
- In a large bowl, combine the sugar and hot chocolate mixture, whisking until smooth.
- Add 1/4 cup of the flour and whisk to combine.
- Add 1 egg and whisk to combine.
- Add the remaining flour and egg and whisk to combine.
- Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Pour into the prepared dish and tap the bottom to release any air bubbles.
- Bake until set and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 25-30 minutes.
- Let cool completely before cutiing into 9 equal pieces.
- Yield:1(9")pan,=6-9 servings.
- VANILLA PUDDING:.
- In a small saucepan, combine the milk, cream, sugar, cornstarch and salt and whisk to combine.
- Bring to a simmer and cook, whisking constantly, until the sugar is dissolved and the mixture starts to thicken, 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs until pale and frothy, about 3 minmutes.
- Slowly add about 1/2 cup of the hot milk mixture, whisking to combine.
- Add the egg mixture to the hot milk mixture and return to the heat.
- Cook over medium-low heat, whisking constantly, for 1 minute.
- Bring to a simmer, stirring constantly with a heavy wooden spoon, and cook until thickened, about 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the butter and vanilla.
- Transfer to a clean container and press plastic wrap against the surface to prevent a skin from forming.
- Refrigerate until chilled, 4 hours or overnight, before serving.
- Yiled:4 cups,=4-6 servings.
- In a bowl, combine the strawberries with the superfine or granulated sugar and 1 tablespoon of the orange juice.
- Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 3 hours.
- In another bowl, toss the sliced bananas with the remaining 3 tablespoons of orange juice.
- Cover and refrigerate for up to 1 hour.
- Yield:6 cups macerated fruit with juice.
- CHOCOLATE SAUCE:.
- In a small, heavy saucepan, bring the cream to a bare simmer over low heat.
- Place the chocolate pieces in a mdeium bowl.
- Pour the cream over the chocolate and let sit for 2 minutes.
- Whisk in the vanilla and continue whisking until the sauce is smooth and thickens.
- Lest sauce cool to room temperature before serving.
- Yiled:1-1/2 cups.
- WHIPPED CREAM:.
- In a large bowl, beat the cream until frothy and starting to thicken.
- Beat in the confectioners' sugar and continue beating until thickened and soft peaks form, about 2 minutes.
- Cut each 3" piece of brownie in half horizantally.
- Place the bottom halves, cut side up, in the bottom of 6 individual glass dessert bowls.
- Arrange 1/4 each of the bananas and strawberries over each brownie portion.
- Top with about 1/4 cup of the vanilla pudding.
- Arrange another brownie half over each pudding layer and repeat layering with fruit, drizziling the fruit with any juices that remain in the bowl.
- Top with pudding and drizzle about 2 tablespoons of cooled chocolate sauce over the top of each portion.
- Spread 1/3-1/2 cup of whipped cream on top of each trifle and garnish with sugar almond pieces.