1 1/2 lbs pork or 1 1/2 lbs
garlic cloves, minced
salt and pepper, to taste
2 1/2 cups
4 -5 slices
white bread, use stale bread, cut into small cubes
( trim hard crust off)
- Sauté onion and garlic in shortening until translucent.
- Add meat with spices and sauté till brown.
- Add water; simmer, covered, until meat is tender, about 1 hour.
- Add finely grated potato into the meat and simmer 5 minutes stirring often.
- Serve with dumplings or bread.
- Mix together beaten egg, milk, flour, baking powder and salt until smooth.
- Add bread cubes to batter and mix well.
- Make two small loaves.
- Drop into large pot of vigorously boiling water. Cook 10 minutes, then roll dumpling over and cook an additional 10 minutes. Remove immediately from water and cut ends off to release steam.
- Cut into 1/2 inch slices and serve.