onion, finely chopped
1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill or 1/2 tablespoon
chopped dried dill
salt and pepper
- Cut the pastry to fit the size or your baking dish, (I use a 9 inch regular Pyrex pie plate or a 9 x 9 inch square pan), then keep it covered with a damp cloth.
- Prepare the spinach.
- Heat the oil and saute the onion for 5 minutes until soft.
- Add the spinach and stir for 5 minutes over a medium heat then increase the heat to evaporate any moisture.
- Leave to cool then mix in the dill, eggs, cheese, salt and pepper.
- Brush the baking dish with melted butter.
- Brush 8 layers of pastry with butter and lay them in the bottom of the dish.
- Spread with the filling, then cover with the remaining pastry, brushing each one with melted butter and scoring the top into diamond shapes.
- Sprinkle with water and bake in a preheated oven at 325°F for 40 minutes until crisp and golden.
- Leave to stand for 10 minutes, then cut into wedges and serve with crisp lettuce leaves.