unsalted butter, room temperature
2 1/4 cups
1 1/2 teaspoons
raw pistachio nut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter and flour a baking sheet.
- In a bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the eggs, vanilla, and orange zest until blended.
- In another bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, cloves and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and beat until blended.
- Stir in cranberries and pistachios.
- Divide the dough in half.
- One at a time, place the 2 dough portions on the prepared baking sheet and form each into a log about 1/2 inch high, 1 1/2 inches wide and 14 inches long.
- Space logs at least 2 inches apart.
- Bake the logs for 25-30 minutes or until set and light brown.
- Transfer to a cutting board and let cool 6-8 minutes.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 300 degrees.
- Using a very sharp knife, cut the logs in the diagonal into slices 3/8 inch thick.
- Stand the slices upright on the baking sheet and return the sheet to the oven for 15 minutes to dry the cookies thoroughly.
- Transfer to racks to cool.
- Store the cookies in an airtight container for up to 4 weeks.