whole wheat flour
1/4 cup butter or 1/4 cup
3 tablespoons flax seeds or 3 tablespoons
- Heat oven to 375°F.
- Combine whole wheat flour, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in large bowl.
- Mix in butter or margarine with fork until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add buttermilk; stir just until flour is moistened.
- Stir in flax seed.
- Place dough on lightly floured surface; knead 3 to 5 times until smooth.
- Divide dough in half.
- Roll out each half with floured rolling pin or pat each half with floured fingers into 13x11" rectangle on greased baking sheets.
- Prick all over with fork.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool completely.
- Break into pieces.
- *Tip: Flax seeds, when used as whole seeds, add texture to foods. Ground seeds give the most nutritional benefit and are a primary source or omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids.