( Fresh is best)
extra virgin olive oil
fine sea salt
fresh ground black pepper
- Set a medium saucepan filled with at least 4 inches of water over moderate heat. Bring to a low boil.
- While water is boiling, break each egg into a mesh strainer, letting the thin white drain away. Transfer the remaining yolk and white to a small bowl.
- Beat the eggs vigorously with a fork.
- Put a strainer in the sink. When the water is at a low boil, add a few large pinches of salt, then stir the water to create a whirlpool. Pour the eggs into the moving water, cover the pot and count to 20.
- Turn off the heat and uncover the pot. While holding back the eggs with a spoon, pour off most of the water over the strainer. Gently slide the eggs into the strainer and press them lightly to expel any excess liquid.
- Scoop the eggs into bowls, drizzle with olive oil if desired and season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.