prepared pastry dough, for one crust
( use your own favorite pastry recipe or see my recipe#66929)
granny smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced 1/4-inch thick
( or use all white sugar)
2 1/2 teaspoons
light brown sugar, packed
cold butter, cut into small pieces
- Set oven to 400 degrees.
- Prepare a 9-inch glass pie plate.
- For the filling: Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl.
- For the topping: in a food processor blend the flour, both sugars, cinnamon and salt until blended.
- Add in the cold butter using on/off turns process until the mixture blended, but still a little coarse.
- Place the prepared pie pastry into the bottom of the pie dish leaving about 1-inch overhand.
- Turn the crust under and flute.
- Toss the apple mixture once again before mounding into the pastry, then mound the mixture into the center.
- Pack the topping over and around the apples.
- Place the pie onto a baking sheet to catch any spills.
- Bake for about 40-45 minutes (covering top with foil if browning too quickly).
- After 40 minutes of baking, reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees.
- Bake for another 45 minutes, or until the apples feel firm-tender when pierced with a fork and the filling is bubbling around the edges.
- Cool for 1 hours before slicing.