1 (28 ounce) cans
( or 8 fresh peeled and seeded)
( cut into bite size pieces)
2 -3 cups
( see below)
roasted garlic cloves
( or your favorite pasta)
- In a deep dish fry pan sautee bacon, onion and garlic over med-high heat until onion is soft and bacon is cooked but not too crispy.
- Add can of tomatoes, oregano, parsley and basil.
- Bring mixture to light boil and turn down to simmer DO NOT COVER, let it render down to make a thick sauce (about 20 min). Cover and keep hot.
- Cook noodles so they are el dente. Rinse and drain.
- Place veggies ( I used purple onion cut into eighths(held together with toothpick), whole baby carrots, celery cut on the bias, red pepper 2x2" squares, rounds of zucchini and broccoli flowerets) on a broiler pan in a single layer.
- In blender put oil, vinegar and roasted garlic and puree until garlic is well blended into oil and vinegar.
- Brush top side of veggies with oil mixture.
- Broil veggies until they just start to blacken, about 5 minute.
- Take out veggies and turn them over and brush uncooked side with oil mixture.
- Return to broiler for another 5 min or until they start to blacken.
- Cook and peel shrimp if using. Add to tomato sauce just before serving.
- Place 1/2 noodles in pasta bowl/plate.
- Put 1/2 of sauce over pasta
- Put 1/2 of veggies on top of sauce.
- Garnish with parmesean and feta cheese if desired. (The feta adds a real nice flavor to your sauce).
- Repeat with second plate/bowl.