1 (1/4 ounce) package
active dry yeast
warm water, divided
5 1/2-6 cups
3 tablespoons butter (optional) or 3 tablespoons
- In a mixing bowl, dissolve yeast and 1 tsp sugar in 1/2 cup water; let stand for 10 minutes.
- Add milk, salt and remaining sugar and water.
- Gradually add 2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Beat in egg and oil. Stir in enough flour to make a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured board; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Divide in half; roll each half on a floured board to 1/3-1/2 inch thickness. Cut with a floured 2 1/2 inch round cutter. Brush with butter if desired.
- Using the dull edge of a table knife, make an off-center crease in each roll. Fold along crease so the large half is on top. Press along folded edge.
- Place 2-3 inches apart on greased baking sheets.
- Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Bake at 375F for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from pans and cool on wire racks.