( cut into 1/2 inch pieces)
( cut into cubes or diced)
10 -12 slices
( recipe originally said cubed but I left them whole)
( I used Ore-Ida western style or can use O'Brien)
salt and pepper
- The NIGHT BEFORE:.
- In large skillet, cook bacon until crisp.
- Drain off excess bacon fat, but keep a little in skillet in order to cook onion.
- Add onion, ham and chopped bacon to skillet and cook until onion is tender and transparent.
- Butter a large baking dish - I used a glass lasagna dish.
- Layer the bread to cover bottom of dish - will use probably 5-6 slices or half the amount of bread cubed.
- Add half of potatoes and cheese.
- Top with bacon, onion and ham mixture.
- Add remaining pieces of bread, potatoes and cheese.
- In large bowl, beat eggs, milk, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, salt and pepper.
- Pour this mixture evenly over the ingredients in baking dish.
- Cover and chill OVERNIGHT in the refrigerator.
- The NEXT MORNING:.
- Remove strata from the refrigerator and bring to room temp (about 30 minutes prior to baking).
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Bake uncovered for 1 hour or when knife is inserted near center and comes out clean.