2 (15 ounce) cans
pinto beans, drained, reserving 1/4 cup of liquid
( black beans also work well)
( less for a lower heat-tolerance)
- Heat oil in a heavy skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add whole garlic cloves and cook, turning once, until browned on both sides, about 5 minutes.
- Smash garlic cloves with a fork just enough to break them open and flatten them a little.
- Add pintos and liquid and cook until heated through, about 5 minutes.
- Add spices and salt to taste. Stir well.
- Turn the heat down to medium-low and smash beans with a big fork. You don't have to smash every single bean. Leave some whole for texture.
- When mashed to your liking, squeeze the lime juice all over the beans and serve warm.
- These beans make a great taco filling or tostada topping. My husband likes them mixed with a little salsa and eaten as a dip.