dried great northern beans
( low sodium is best)
meaty ham bone
( I use 2 or 3 smoked ham hocks)
2 -3 tablespoons
chicken bouillon granules
celery ribs, chopped
( I also put in a handful of the chopped celery leaves)
potato, cut into cubes
( optional, but very good)
- Place beans in a Dutch oven or soup kettle; add water to cover by 2”.
- Bring to a boil; boil for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat, cover and let stand for 1 hour. Drain.
- Add broth, water, ham bone, bouillon and seasonings; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2 hours (I find I usually add at least an hour to this).
- Sauté’ onions, carrots and celery in oil; add to soup along with cubed potato (if using).
- Cover and simmer 1 hour longer.
- Debone ham and cut into chunks; return to soup.
- Skim fat (I find I don’t have any to skim).
- I like to mash some of the beans once they get soft. My total cooking time is more like 6 hours than 4 hours.
- Great served with corn bread.