double crust pie crust
( to fit a 9 or 10-inch pie plate)
1 1/2 cups
( I use Ocean Spray brand cranberry juice)
( fresh or frozen)
granny smith apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
fresh lemon juice
egg white, slighty beaten
butter, cut into small pieces
- In a saucepan over medium heat stir in 3/4 cup sugar and cranberry juice, add in the cranberries and bring to a simmer.
- Reduce heat and simmer for about 25 minutes or until almost all the liquid is absorbed, stirring often; cool (this can be made up to 2 days ahead and chilled).
- In a bowl, toss the sliced apples with lemon juice.
- Then add in flour, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 3/4 cup sugar; toss well to blend.
- Set oven to 400 degrees (bottom oven rack).
- Roll out the pastry dough and fit into bottom of a 9 or 10-inch glass pie plate (trim the overhang to 1-inch).
- Brush the top of the bottom crust lightly with egg white to prevent a soggy cust.
- Spread the cranberry mixture over the bottom crust, then top with the apple mixture.
- Dot with butter pieces.
- Place the top pastry over the apples.
- Press the crust edges together to seal, then flute.
- Cut a 1-inch slit on top of the pastry.
- Mix the 2 tablespoons sugar with 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon in a small bowl or cup.
- Brush with milk and then sprinkle with sugar/cinnamon.
- Place the pie on a cookie sheet to catch any spills.
- Bake in a 400 degree oven for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 375 and continue baking for about 50 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.
- Serve warm or at room temperature with vanilla ice cream.