( 2 gallons)
( must use kosher salt ONLY)
1 1/2 cups
light brown sugar
( can use 1 tablespoon coarse ground black pepper)
3 -4 tablespoons
fresh coarsely chopped garlic
( or slice the cloves into thirds)
( up to 20 pounds)
- In a large bucket or container mix together the warm water with brown sugar and salt; stir until NO kosher salt and sugar granules remain in the water (make certain to use very warm water so that the salt and suagr will dissolve easily and completely).
- Add in Worcestershire sauce, peppercorns, and garlic; stir until the Worcestershire sauce is combined.
- Cool the water until almost room temperature.
- Wash the turkey inside and out with cold water, then place in the brine (if the brine does not quite cover the turkey, then place it breast-side up to start, then turn it over after a couple of hours later).
- Place in refrigerator for 24 hours,.
- Remove the turkey from the brine and rinse the turkey THOROUGHLY under cold running water.
- Pat dry with paper towels then cover and refrigerate if not preparing right away or continue with my turkey recipe (#199612).