fat-free evaporated milk
garlic cloves, minced
grated parmesan cheese
( to taste)
( to taste)
dry lasagna noodles, cooked al dente
( about 12 noodles)
cooked winter squash, mashed
part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
golden seedless raisins
pine nuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare lasagna noodles as directed on the package.
- To prepare the squash, peel and remove seeds, trimming into 1 or 2 inch cubes. Place in a pot of boiling water and cook until just tender. Remove water and mash by hand. (You can also do this in the microwave if you have one.)
- Place flour in a small saucepan over low to medium heat and very gradually whisk in milk and garlic. Warm milk slurry, stirring constantly, until sauce simmers and is thickened, about 3 minutes. (It will continue to thicken in the baking so don’t worry if it seems a bit thin at this stage.) Remove from heat and stir in Parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.?.
- Spread 1/3 cup of cheese sauce over bottom of a 9 X 13-inch glass or metal pan and cover with 3 lasagna noodles; top with 1/3 of squash and 1/2 cup of cheese sauce. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese and 1/4 cup of raisins. Cover with 3 more lasagna noodles and spread with 1/3 of remaining squash and 2/3 cup of cheese sauce; sprinkle with 1/4 cup of raisins. Cover with 3 more lasagna noodles and top with remaining squash and raisins; cover with last 3 lasagna noodles, pressing sheets firmly down. Top with remaining cheese sauce; sprinkle with pine nuts and remaining mozzarella cheese.
- Cover lasagna with aluminum foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove foil and continue baking until lasagna bubbles around edges and is browned on top, about 15-20 additional minutes.
- Slice into 8 pieces and serve.