pecans, finely chopped
semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
1 (16 ounce) packages
Thin Chocolate Glaze
- In a small skillet, melt butter over low heat.
- Let stand a few minutes.
- Skim off and discard white foam from top and do not use any milky residue that sinks to bottom.
- The clear yellow liquid is clarified butter.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a medium bowl, combine pecans, cinnamon, 1/4 cup sugar, and chocolate chips.
- Mix well.
- Open and stack phyllo sheets on a damp towel.
- Cover with a damp towel to prevent drying out.
- Brush a 12x18-inch sheet cake pan with clarified butter.
- Layer half of phyllo sheets (about 10 x 12) in pan, brushing each sheet with butter.
- Spread half of nut mixture evenly over layered phyllo sheets.
- Brush next phyllo sheet on both sides with butter, then place on top of nuts.
- Add 5 or 6 more phyllo sheets, brushing each sheet with butter.
- Top with the remaining nut mixture.
- Butter next phyllo sheet on both sides and place on top of the nuts.
- Top with remaining phyllo sheets, brushing each with butter.
- Using a sharp knife, cut pastry into 50 diamond-shaped pieces.
- Do not remove pastry from pan.
- Brush top with remaining clarified butter.
- Bake 40 to 50 minutes, or until golden.
- About 30 minutes before baklava is finished baking, in a small saucepan, combine remaining 1/2 cup sugar and orange juice.
- Heat to boiling over medium heat, stirring often.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 10 minutes.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Pour hot orange syrup over hot baklava as soon as it is removed from oven.
- Let stand until cool, 4 hours or overnight.
- When baklava is cool, drizzle Thin Chocolate Glaze on top.
- Allow glaze to set up before serving.
- Baklava may be kept, covered, 4 to 5 days at room temperature.
- Freeze for longer storage.
- To make the Thin Chocolate Glaze------------------.
- In a small glass bowl, combine chocolate, butter, and 1 tablespoon water.
- Heat in the microwave on High 30 to 45 seconds, or until melted and smooth when stirred.