2 1/2 lbs pork hocks or 2 1/2 lbs
oxtails, cut into 2" lengths
stewing beef, to make a meatier dish
1 1/2 teaspoons
2 tablespoons toasted powdered rice (optional) or 2 tablespoons
toasted mochiko sweet rice flour
eggplant, cut into 8 pieces
- Place hocks or oxtail pieces in a large pot.
- Add enough water to cover.
- Bring to boil, lower heat and simmer for 1-1/2 hours or until tender.
- If using achute water, soak 1 tablespoon of achute seeds in water for 30 minutes.
- Squeeze seeds between your thumb and finger tips until the water turns red.
- Strain and set red water aside.
- OR Heat 2 tablespoons oil, saute achute seeds in oil until oil turns red, discard seeds.
- Use oil for sauteing rest of ingredients.
- Heat oil in a skillet and saute garlic and onions.
- Add cooked meat and 2 cups of the broth.
- (Save the rest of the broth for other uses.) Add salt and achute water.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in peanut butter and toasted rice powder, bring back to simmer cook, stirring for 5 minutes.
- Add green beans and eggplant.
- Cook 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Correct the seasonings.
- Serve with hot rice and bagoong, plain or sauteed.