1 1/2 cups
eggs, room temperature
water, room temperature
1/2 cup beef drippings or 1/2 cup
use melted butter
milk, room temperature
- Mix the flour and salt together until well blended.
- Make a well in the middle of the flour; add in milk and whisk until smooth.
- Add in eggs and beat until blended.
- Add in the water and continue beating until the mixture is light and frothy.
- Set the mixture aside for about 1 hour (or you may cover and refrigerate overnight, if the batter has been refrigerated then it must come down to room temperature before using).
- When your roast beef is ready to come out of the oven, prepare to use the prepared batter.
- Set oven to 400 degrees F.
- Pour 1/2 cup roast beef drippings (or melted butter) into a 12 x 9-inch baking pan.
- Place the pan in the oven until the drippings in the pan sizzle (the drippings or butter MUST be sizzling!).
- Pour the prepared batter over the hot drippings and bake for 30 minutes (or until the sides have risen and are golden brown).
- Slice into 8 equal pieces and serve immediately.