5 cups pomegranate juice (10 pomegranates) or 5 cups
bottled pure pomegranate juice
1 (3 ounce) envelopes
Certo, liquid fruit pectin
- 8 (1/2 pt(1 cup)) jars, with lids and rings.
- NOTE: see intro for alternate juice source.
- Peel pomegranates and extract juice.
- Strain juice through cheesecloth.
- Add up to 1/2 cup of water if needed.
- HOWEVER, IT IS BETTER TO USE PURE JUICE.
- Pour juice into a large pan, 6 to 8 quart.
- Pan should not be more than 1/3 full.
- Stir in sugar.
- Bring juice to a full rolling boil over high heat, stirring constantly.
- Stir in Certo.
- Continue to stir.
- Bring to a full rolling boil (one that will not stir down) and boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat.
- Skim off foam with large metal spoon.
- Immediately ladle into hot jelly jars.
- Leave 1/4 inch space at top of jars.
- Wipe off any jelly that is on the top of jars, rims and threads. Seal with Dome lids and rings.
- Immediately invert jars on towel and let stay that way for 24 hours.
- Set jars upright and test for proper seal.
- If you are putting jelly into other types of jars or glasses, immediately pour a thin layer of melted wax over hot jelly.
- Put on covers or cover with Saran Wrap.