1 (16 ounce) bags
15 bean soup mix, seasoning packet discarded
dried onion flakes
fresh ground black pepper
1 (15 ounce) cans
cooked ham, cubed
- Put the beans in a big pot, cover with lots of cold water, and soak over night.
- The next day, pour the water off, and cover the beans with fresh cold water.
- Add the dried onion, garlic powder, and pepper, and bring to a boil. Back the heat off and simmer for 1 to 2 hours.
- Add the ham bone to the pot, and simmer for another 1 to 2 hours.
- Add the can of tomatoes including their juice, and the ham pieces. Simmer for another 30 minutes.
- At this point you may want to mash the beans with a potato masher if it needs to be thickened some.