( more if needed)
fully cooked smoked kielbasa
leeks, thinly sliced
( use white and pale green parts only)
minced fresh garlic
apple, peeled cored and chopped
( can use a teaspoon dry)
2 (793.78 g) can
( with juice)
3 (1275.72 g) can
cannellini beans, rinsed and drained, but RESERVE 1/2 cup of the juice
1 (283.49 g) package
frozen baby lima beans, thawed
salt and pepper
white bread, diced into about 1/2-inch cubes
tomato, seeded and diced
salt and pepper
- Set oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat oil in a heavy oven-proof pot over medium heat.
- Add in sausage slices and saute until browned (about 10-15 minutes) remove with a slotted spoon to a plate.
- Add in more oil of needed and add in the leeks; saute for about 8 minutes or until softened.
- Add in chopped apple, rosemary and sage; mix to combine.
- Add in the brandy and simmer until ALMOST evapoarted (about 4-5 minutes).
- Mix in canned tomatoes with juice, canned beans with 1/2 cup reserved bean juice, the lima beans, 1 cup broth and tomato paste.
- Add in sausages and season with salt and pepper; bring to a boil, cover pot and transfer to a 350 degree oven for about 35 minutes (watch to see if the mixture is dry, if so add in more broth).
- Remove pot from the oven and prepare the following.
- Heat 1/4 cup oil in a heavy large skillet over medium heat.
- Add in bread cubes; saute until golden brown, stirring often (about 25 minutes).
- Combine the fresh chopped tomatoes and parsley in a large bowl; mix in the browned bread cubes.
- Season with salt and pepper and spoon on top of the warm cassoulet.
- Return to oven and bake uncovered 15 minutes longer.