cut up whole chicken
( 8 pieces)
( to taste)
- Place the chicken in salted water for 15-20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Place vegetable oil and margarine in shallow baking pan and set in oven to heat and melt.
- Combine flour and seasonings in a plastic bag.
- Shake pieces of chicken in flour mixture.
- Remove hot pan from oven and arrange chicken pieces on it, skin side down being sure not to crowd.
- Place pan in oven and bake 30 minutes.
- Turn chicken so that the skin side is up and continue to bake 20 to 30 minutes more until nicely browned and juices run clear.
- Remove to a platter and keep warm allowing to rest for at least 10 minutes.
- For gravy, scrape baking pan and place 3 tablespoons of the accumulated cooking fat and browned bits into a saucepan.
- Stir in 3 tablespoons of flour and cook 1-2 minutes until well combined.
- Stir in 2 cups chicken broth and continue cooking and whisking until gravy boils and thickens.
- Cook for about 2 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper if necessary.