1 (22 1/3 ounce) boxes
sugar cookie mix
butter, at room temperature
( 4 tablespoons)
red food coloring
yellow food coloring
- Prepare cookie dough according to package directions for rolled cookies.
- Divide dough into thirds. Tint one third yellow and one third orange with food coloring. Tint remaining third brown by mixing in cocoa and 2 drops red food coloring.
- Chill dough until firm, about 1 hour.
- To make cookies, pull off about 1/4 of each color dough and roll into a 1/2-inch thick rope. On a sheet of waxed paper, lay ropes horizontally next to each other, with orange in the middle. Cover with another sheet of waxed paper.
- Roll ropes out until dough is 3-inches wide. Remove top sheet of waxed paper. Trim edges. Cut into triangles (like this:VVVVVV).
- Arrange cookies 1-inch apart on greased baking sheets (I use parchment paper instead of greasing).
- Bake at 375° for 6-7 minutes, or until edges just begin to turn golden.
- Cool 1 minute on sheets. Transfer to wire racks and cool completely. Repeat with remaining dough.