5 -6 lbs
short rib of beef
( or more or less)
1 1/2 teaspoons
fresh ground black pepper
( to taste)
oil, as needed for browning sauce
garlic cloves, finely chopped
dried thyme, rubbed between fingers to release flavor
( or to taste)
dry red wine
small white button mushrooms
- Set oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat bacon fat (or oil if using, can use both) in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- In a shallow dish mix together flour, seasoning salt, black pepper and garlic powder.
- Dredge the short ribs in the flour mixture to coat, shaking off any excess flour on ribs.
- Brown the ribs in the Dutch oven working in batches until lightly browned on all sides; remove to a plate.
- Pour off all but about 2-3 tablespooons fat, and add in the onions, chopped garlic and thyme; saute until lightly browned.
- Add in broth and red wine; bring to a boil, stirring.
- Return the ribs to the Dutch oven (if possible in a single layer).
- Add in the fresh small button mushrooms (if using, no need to saute the mushrooms first).
- Cover with a lid and simmer for about 2 hours, or until the ribs are desired tenderness.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- **NOTE** this is only optional: remove the ribs to a platter to keep warm and drain the cooking liquid through a sieve, then transfer the liquid to a saucepan to simmer and reduce slightly and thicken, scimming any fat that has accumulated on top, or you can just serve the sauce just as is from the Dutch oven.
- Pour the sauce over the ribs.