yellow onion, peeled and chopped
3 cups fresh broccoli or 3 cups
fresh Broccolini, chopped
fresh chicken stock, divided
goat cheese, divided
( chevre is a good choice)
fresh bay leaf, bruised
freshly grated nutmeg
- In a stock pot, cook the onions over medium heat in the butter for about 8 minutes. Add broccoli and half the stock; bring to almost a boil.
- Using hand held immersion blender, puree the broccoli mixture until smooth.
- Stir in the remaining broth, 1/2 cup buttermilk, 2 ounces of the goat cheese, bay leaf and nutmeg. Heat for 5 minutes but do not boil.
- Adjust seasoning and add salt and pepper.
- In a plastic bag combine the remaining buttermilk and cheese. Mix together. Snip the corner of the plastic bag.
- Pipe dots on top of the soup, dragging a toothpick through the dots to form "hearts".
- Serve warm.