1 1/2 cups
1 1/8 teaspoons
4 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (I use bread flour) or 4 1/4 cups
( I use bread flour)
( I use brown sugar)
active dry yeast
egg, lightly beaten
sesame seeds or
- Place the water, egg yolks, salt oil, flour, sugar and yeast in the bread machine pan, according to the manufacturer's directions.
- Process the ingredients in the dough cycle.
- Remove immediately when the machine beeps.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Divide the dough in half.
- Divide each piece into three sections.
- Roll each section into a long strand.
- Braid the three strands, pinching the top and bottom ends together.
- Place on a parchment-lined or lightly greased baking sheet.
- Repeat with the remaining dough, making the second challah.
- Let the challot rise, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Brush the challot with the beaten egg.
- Sprinkle with the sesame seeds, poppy seeds, or a combination of both.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack.