green bell pepper
( minced or crushed)
1 1/2 stalks
2 (16 ounce) bags
- Wash beans & add to stew pot, boil for 30-45 minutes.
- Brown ham in 1 tsp of oil until just brown.
- Remove ham & add 1 tsp of oil, onion, celery, bell pepper & garlic, cook until soft. (If sticky, just add a LITTLE water.).
- Add ham back to skillet and cook for an additional 5-10 minutes.
- Add skillet mixture to beans & season with salt, cayenne pepper, & bay leaves. (You can use more or less of any of the seasonings to suit your taste. Taste the liquid to make sure that it agrees to your tastes.).
- Cook in stewpot until beans are soft. (4-6 hours).
- Remove 1 1/2 cups of beans & mash. Add mashed beans back to mixture.
- Serve beans over rice.