milk, low fat should be fine
almonds, blanched and chopped, to garnish or
pistachio nut, chopped, to garnish
nutmeg, grated, to sprinkle on top
- Using a little of the milk, mix the ground rice and cornflour to a smooth paste.
- Over a medium-low heat, slowly heat the sugar in the rest of the milk.
- Stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, and being careful not to burn the bottom of the pan, add the paste to the milk, and simmer the mixture until it is just off boiling. Keep stirring until the mixture thickens (which it should do in 10-15 minutes).
- Add the rose-water and ground almonds and continue to stir over a low heat; simmer for about 5 minutes, then remove the pan from the stove and allow the mixture to cool slightly before pouring it into a glass bowl or individual glass dishes.
- Garnish with the nuts ( almonds or pistachios) and nutmeg, then chill for 3-4 hours before serving.